Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cupcake Mishaps

This past weekend was a life manifestation of the quote "to make an omelet, sometimes you have to break a few eggs..."

This is what happens when marshmallows expand and melt right out of the cake batter
I call it eXpLoDiNg cUpCaKeS!

I'm not going to show you the picture of the inside of my oven. 
So glad for the self-cleaning feature.

I also learned that when you substitute caramel bits for toffee bits
(I'm allergic to almonds so toffee and I don't get along so well) but add the caramel bits too soon to the batter and then add fresh brewed coffee (instead of letting it chill to room temperature), that the caramel bits melt and the batter gets kinda watery and sticky.  In an effort to salvage the batter, I went ahead and baked up the cupcakes just to see what would happen.  2 rotations later (approx. 50 min.) the cupcakes looked beautiful IN the oven, but as soon as I took them OUT of the oven, they would collapse.

As Drew put it, they have a souffle complex.

My ever encouraging husband willingly taste-tested the collapsing souffle-like caramel coffee "cupcakes" and said it was delicious, even if they didn't look the way I wanted.  Note to self:  keep him!  :)

Luckily, I was able to break my losing streak with a home run
(sorry for the sports references):
Death by Oreo Cupcakes

An oreo cookie in the bottom of each cupcake, oreo bits mixed in with devil's food chocolate cake batter, finely chopped oreo crumbs mixed in with cream cheese flavored frosting, and a mini oreo topping.  I made these for a surprise bridal shower and they were a big hit, especially with the bride!  My efforts were redeemed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment